Our History

The Jasper Municipal Library was founded on November 12, 1942. The original location was in the basement of the Jasper Park Information Building.

In 1975 the Library relocated to an historic building, which was constructed in 1926 as the Jasper Sub/District Headquarters of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. The RCMP moved to a new, larger and more modern building. The library did extensive renovations to the interior of the building, attempting to maintain it's original charm.

In October 2011 ground was broken on a massive renovation and expansion project which included the historic building and would result in a larger, more comfortable library, new meeting rooms, an office for the local ACFA chapter, Municipal Council chambers, and spaces for the Jasper Artists Guild and Jasper Community Habitat for the Arts.

The Jasper Library and Cultural Centre opened to the public June 29, 2016.